Wednesday, October 8, 2008

XORs in the Air

Hah! I walked away from reading the previous paper convinced I had a good idea for wireless encoding, and then this paper does just that. This paper uses an xor encoding of packets to send multiple packets at the same time. The logistics of it are complicated, but it works, and works well. Totally fantastic.

I'm not sure what else to say. This is a totally reasonable way to exploit the gains inherent in a broadcast medium. Their insight into the benefits given to the bottlenecks was great as well.

I still like my idea of using erasure coding, but that's just going to maximize throughput, not utilize the network more effectively. This allows wireless networks to get advantages for being highly packed, which the roofnet folks never addressed.

The only thing mildly overlooked is security, which I think isn't a problem either. End-to-end encryption should provide any guarantees, and there are definitively no new attacks generated by using this.

I'll stop fawning, but drop the other paper and emphasize this heavily!

1 comment:

Randy H. Katz said...

General consensus is that the class loved this paper. I agree with you that the logistics are rather complicated. I am somewhat concerned about the management of the packet pool. Perhaps we can discuss in class today.