Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Scaling Routers

We read a paper about building a 100 Tb/s router, and the design considerations required for it. I wasn't able to pick up too much from the paper, as lingo usage was endemic. I did figure that router design is still generally pretty simple, with N^2 connections among the inputs all over the place, which was acceptable, it seems.

I'm not sure what I was supposed to get out of this anyhow? The power discussion? They mentioned that router power usage is becoming the limiting factor, so they were switching to optical. Ok, that's a good idea, I agree. They gave a proof that it would 100% of the throughput, which I guess I buy, I mean, they are switching between lots of flows and I could see that working.

I don't think this paper was particularly valuable, a more general work on router structure probably would have been more beneficial to someone at my level, at least.

No comments: